Old-Fashioned Strawberry Pie Recipe
- 1 sheet refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 package (3 ounces) cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 package (.3 ounce) sugar-free strawberry gelatin
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 2 cups reduced-fat whipped topping, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 fresh strawberries
- 1. On a lightly floured surface, unroll pastry. Transfer to a 9-in. pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 450° for 8 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5-7 minutes longer or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a small saucepan, combine pudding mix, water and lemon juice. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir 1-2 minutes longer or until thickened. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Gradually stir in pudding. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until thickened. Fold in sliced strawberries. Transfer to crust.
- 4. For topping, in another bowl, beat the cream cheese, 1/2 cup whipped topping and vanilla until smooth. Fold in remaining whipped topping. Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a medium star tip. Fill with topping. Pipe topping around edges of pie; garnish with whole strawberries. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 259 calories, 12 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 220 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.