Stollen is a traditional German Christmas yeast bread. The fruit-filled loaf topped with a confectioners' sugar icing and candied cherries has a shape resembling a giant Parker House roll.— Linda Hinners, Brookfield, Wisconsin
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1/2 teaspoon plus 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
- 6-1/4 to 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup diced citron or mixed candied fruit and peel
- 1/2 cup sliced candied cherries
- Melted butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 5 to 6 teaspoons milk
- Blanched whole almonds and additional candied fruit
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1/2 teaspoon sugar in warm water; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the milk, butter, salt, cardamom, eggs, egg yolks,remaining sugar and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in the raisins, citron, cherries and enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours.
- Punch down; divided into thirds. Roll each piece on a floured surface into a 10-in. x 6-in. oval. Brush with melted butter. Fold one long side over to within 1 in. of the opposite side. Press edges to seal. Place on greased baking sheets. Brush with melted butter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned. For icing, combine confectioners' sugar and milk; spread over cooled bread. Decorate with almonds and fruit. Yield: 3 breads.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Stollen in Reminisce Extra December 1993, p45
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Stollen
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review