Old-Fashioned Rhubarb Pudding Cake Recipe
“At 100 years old, my mom-Frances Beechner of Lincoln, Nebraska-still cooks, bakes, drives her own car and lives in her own home. She's amazing!" says Barbara Collins. Andover, Massachusetts. “And, this is one of her best desserts.”
- 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb and 1 cup sugar. Cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cream shortening and remaining sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat just until combined.
- 3. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Pour rhubarb mixture over batter. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 257 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 171 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Rhubarb Pudding Cake
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC