- 4 cups diced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large saucepan, combine rhubarb and 1 cup sugar. Cook over medium heat for 12-15 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, cream shortening and remaining sugar until light and fluffy; beat in egg and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Beat just until combined.
- Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Pour rhubarb mixture over batter. Bake 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Rhubarb Pudding Cake
Sort By :
"This is an excellent and super easy to make cake! I don't have the correct size pan, so mine comes out thin, but it is so good and moist."
"This is amazing -- not overly sweet and full-on rhubarb tangy deliciousness! Instead of a cake pan, I put the batter in a large deep-dish gourmet pie plate, covered it with rhubarb, baked at 350 for about 45 minutes , until crust started to turn golden. My husband said "sorry grandma, my wife makes better rhubarb dessert!" Thank you for this great antique recipe!!"
"Sounds good, but why is this called a pudding cake? Is there pudding in it?"
"Very yummy - thanks for sharing!"
"Excellent recipe, the cake was very light and cakey, very nice, will make again, tastes better than the "rhubarb dessert cake" posted here."