Old-Fashioned Pot Roast with Gravy Recipe
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, marjoram, oregano and thyme
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1. Cut roast in half; brown in a Dutch oven in oil on all sides. Sprinkle with pepper. Place the carrots, onion and garlic in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with the roast. In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce, wine or broth, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- 2. Remove meat and keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; pour into a saucepan. Bring to a boil. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with a sliced beef. Yield: 12-14 servings.
4 ounce-weight: 176 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 211mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 23g protein.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Pot Roast with Gravy
"Delicious and tender with a italian flavored tomato gravy."