Old-Fashioned Pot Roast with Gravy Recipe
"We raise beef and have a large garden, so I try to find new ways to use these ingredients to make nutritious meals," relates Joan Airey from Rivers, Manitoba. Simmered in a brown gravy flecked with veggies, this roast is fork tender when sliced.
- 1 beef rump roast or bottom round roast (3-1/2 to 4 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup red wine or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon each dried basil, marjoram, oregano and thyme
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- Cut roast in half; brown in a Dutch oven in oil on all sides. Sprinkle with pepper. Place the carrots, onion and garlic in a 5-qt. slow cooker; top with the roast. In a bowl, combine the tomato sauce, wine or broth, Worcestershire sauce and seasonings; pour over roast. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat and keep warm. Skim fat from cooking juices; pour into a saucepan. Bring to a boil. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into cooking juices. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with a sliced beef. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Pot Roast in Quick Cooking January/February 2003, p58
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Pot Roast with Gravy(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Potluck Dinner Recipes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Roast Dinner >
- Roast Recipes >