Old-Fashioned Pot Roast
Every time I fix this recipe for friends, it's asked for - and usually by the husbands! As a new mom (Mike and I are the parents of a 9-month-old son) who works full-time, I also like how easy it is to prepare. It's one of our favorites. Some people I've shared the recipe with have used a beef brisket in place of the regular roast. For a bit different taste, I at times add red wine vinegar. My mom
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 3 hours
- 1 beef eye round roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 bottle (12 ounces) chili sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 envelope onion soup mix
- 4 medium potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 5 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Place roast in an ungreased roasting pan. Combine the chili sauce,
- water and onion soup mix; pour over roast. Cover and bake at
- 350° for 2 hours.
- Cut roast into 1/2-in. slices; return to pan. Top with the potatoes,
- carrots and celery. Cover and bake 1 hour longer or until meat and
- vegetables are tender, stirring the vegetables once. Yield: 8
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 338 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 78 mg cholesterol, 982 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 36 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.