Old-Fashioned Pot Roast Recipe
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds)
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 celery rib, cut into pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
- Sprinkle the roast with 1 tablespoon flour. In a Dutch oven, brown the roast on all sides in half of the butter. Add the water, bouillon, onion, celery, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add carrots; cover and simmer 45-60 minutes longer or until meat is tender. Remove meat and carrots to a serving platter and keep warm. Strain cooking juices; set aside.
- In the same Dutch oven, melt remaining butter. Stir in remaining flour; cook and stir until bubbly. Add 2 cups of the cooking juices and blend until smooth. Cook and stir until thickened; add additional cooking juices until gravy has desired consistency. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Pot Roast(4)
Sort By :
Best recipe I've found so far. Much better than using a slow cooker!
I've been cooking this since it was published.
This is my favorite pot roast recipe. I found it years ago in Taste of Home. I looked in my magazine today and couldn't find it. Someone had clipped it out. So glad to finally find it again. It's the best ever and I've made lots of roasts in my day.
Our supermarket has a sale on the chuck roast so I decided I'd make pot roast for dinner, since it's been so cold.
It had been so long since I made this dish that I came on to this website and found this recipe.
It was outstanding and took almost no time to cook. I'm sure the leftovers will be even better.
Thanks for sharing.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Roast Dinner >
- Roast Recipes >
- Roasted Vegetables >