Old-Fashioned Poppy Seed Torte Recipe
I got this recipe from my grandmother; it's an old fashioned recipe, but well worth it. My dad requests this cake every year for his birthday. I make it for church events and charity auctions, too. Everyone loves it! —Brenda Patterson, Pullman, Washington
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar blend
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 2-1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup poppy seeds
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 to 2 teaspoons cold brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1. Place egg whites in a small bowl; let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Coat three 9-in. round baking pans with cooking spray; line with waxed paper and coat the paper. Sprinkle with flour; set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar blend until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Beat in applesauce and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Combine 2-1/2 cups flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Fold in poppy seeds.
- 3. Beat egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form; fold into batter. Spread into prepared pans. Bake at 350° for 12-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For filling, in a small saucepan, combine sugar and remaining flour. Stir in sour cream until smooth. Bring to a boil. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in remaining vanilla. Transfer to a bowl; refrigerate until chilled.
- 5. Place one cake layer on a serving platter; top with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice.
- 6. Combine the confectioners' sugar, cocoa and enough coffee to achieve a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with nuts. Refrigerate until serving. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 261 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 54 mg cholesterol, 288 mg sodium, 43 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Poppy Seed Torte
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC