Old-Fashioned Poor Man's Steak Recipe
- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers (about 30 crackers)
- 1/3 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- Hot mashed potatoes or noodlles
- 1. In a large bowl, combine cracker crumbs, water, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into an ungreased 9-in. square pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- 2. Cut into 3-in. squares; dredge in flour. In a large skillet, cook meat squares in oil until browned on both sides.
- 3. Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker with a slotted spatula or spoon. Add soup.
- 4. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until meat is no longer pink. Serve with mashed potatoes or noodles. Yield: 9 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 292 calories, 18 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 68 mg cholesterol, 372 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 22 g protein.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.