- 1 cup crushed saltine crackers (about 30 crackers)
- 1/3 cup water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- Hot mashed potatoes or noodlles
- In a large bowl, combine cracker crumbs, water, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Press into an ungreased 9-in. square pan. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
- Cut into 3-in. squares; dredge in flour. In a large skillet, cook meat squares in oil until browned on both sides.
- Transfer to a 3-qt. slow cooker with a slotted spatula or spoon. Add soup.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or until meat is no longer pink. Serve with mashed potatoes or noodles. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Poor Man's Steak in Taste of Home Ground Beef Cookbook 1999, p66
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Poor Man's Steak
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review