Old-Fashioned Pear Cake Recipe
Old-fashioned pear spice cake is a wonderful ending to a meal. It's not too heavy or rich, but the moist treat is brimming with flavor.—Audrey Golden, Cary, North Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup (6 ounces) fat-free plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 4 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups chopped peeled fresh pears
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon confectioners' sugar
- 1. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour. In a large bowl, beat the sugar, yogurt, oil, egg whites and egg until well blended. Combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg and cloves; gradually beat into yogurt mixture until blended. Stir in pears and pecans.
- 2. Transfer to prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 45-55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioner's sugar. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice equals 264 calories, 9 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 13 mg cholesterol, 291 mg sodium, 42 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC