Old-Fashioned Peanut Butter Cookies
My mother insisted that my grandmother write down one recipe for her when she got married in 1942. That was a real effort because Grandma was a traditional pioneer-type cook who used "a little of this or that 'til it feels right". This treasured recipe is the only one she ever wrote down!
36 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 375°. In a large bowl, cream shortening, peanut
- butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time,
- beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking soda and
- salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-1/2-in. balls. Place 3 in. apart on ungreased baking
- sheets. Flatten with a fork or meat mallet if desired. Bake 10-15
- minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 cookie equals 180 calories, 9 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 128 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.