Old-Fashioned Peach Butter Recipe
Cinnamon and ground cloves add down-home flavor to this spread for toast or biscuits. Using the slow cooker eliminates much of the stirring required when simmering fruit butter on the stovetop. —Marilou Robinson, Portland, Oregon
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Cook: 9 hours + cooling YIELD:72 servings
- 14 cups coarsely chopped peeled fresh or frozen peaches (about 5-1/2 pounds)
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the peaches, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and cloves. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours or until peaches are very soft, stirring occasionally.
- 2. Stir in tapioca. Cook, uncovered, on high for 1 hour or until thickened. Pour into jars or freezer containers; cool to room temperature, about 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate up to 3 weeks or freeze up to 1 year. Yield: 9 cups.
1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 46 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC