Old-Fashioned Peach Butter
Cinnamon and ground cloves add down-home flavor to this spread for toast or biscuits. Using the slow cooker eliminates much of the stirring required when simmering fruit butter on the stovetop. —Marilou Robinson, Portland, Oregon
72 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 9 hours + cooling
- 14 cups coarsely chopped peeled fresh or frozen peaches (about 5-1/2 pounds)
- 2-1/2 cups sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- In a large bowl, combine the peaches, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon
- and cloves. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cover and cook on low
- for 8-10 hours or until peaches are very soft, stirring
- Stir in tapioca. Cook, uncovered, on high for 1 hour or until
- thickened. Pour into jars or freezer containers; cool to room
- temperature, about 1 hour. Refrigerate or freeze. Yield: 9 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (2 tablespoons) equals 46 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, trace protein.