Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Raisin Bars Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) sour cream
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups raisins
- CRUMB MIXTURE:
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-3/4 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold butter, cubed
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and cinnamon. Stir in sour cream until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into eggs; return all to pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Gently stir in raisins. Cool to room temperature without stirring.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda and salt. Cut in butter until crumbly.
- Firmly press 3-1/2 cups of crumb mixture into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Spread with raisin filling. Sprinkle with remaining crumb mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: about 3 dozen.
Originally published as Oatmeal Raisin Bars in Quick Cooking March/April 2004, p51
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Raisin Bars
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Mar. 17, 2010
I fell in love with these cookies! Wouldnt change a thing! I brought them to work and EVERYONE else loved them too!