Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- 1. In a saucepan, cook raisins in water over medium heat until plump, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid. Add enough water to liquid to measure 1/2 cup. In a bowl, cream shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Stir in raisin liquid. Blend in dry ingredients. Stir in raisins and oats. Add nuts if desired.
- 2. Drop by teaspoonfuls about 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown. Yield: 5 dozen.
2 each: 161 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 133mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies
"Wonderful cookies. Yup, this is a keeper,."
"It was ok, but my husband and I thought it a little dry. It was missing something to make it moist."
"Very good flavor and bake up nicely."