- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a saucepan, cook raisins in water over medium heat until plump, about 15 minutes. Drain, reserving liquid. Add enough water to liquid to measure 1/2 cup. In a bowl, cream shortening, sugar, eggs and vanilla. Stir in raisin liquid. Blend in dry ingredients. Stir in raisins and oats. Add nuts if desired.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls about 2 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10 to 12 minutes or until light brown. Yield: 5 dozen.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies in Taste of Home April/May 1993, p54
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Oatmeal Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 21, 2013
"Wonderful cookies. Yup, this is a keeper,."
Reviewed Dec. 20, 2012
"It was ok, but my husband and I thought it a little dry. It was missing something to make it moist."
Reviewed Nov. 3, 2011
"Very good flavor and bake up nicely."