Old-Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese
Bring back the taste of days gone by with this ooey-gooey mac-and-cheese classic. A little ground mustard and hot pepper sauce give it just the right spice. —James Backman, Centralia, Washington
12-16 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 3-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (about 12 ounces)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Few dashes hot pepper sauce
- 3-1/2 cups milk
- 5 cups (20 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook macaroni in boiling water until almost tender; drain. Meanwhile,
- in a Dutch oven, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard,
- pepper and pepper sauce until smooth. Cook for 1 minute or until
- bubbly. Stir in the macaroni, milk and 4 cups cheese.
- Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake
- at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle
- with the remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.
- Yield: 12-16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 249 calories, 15 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 416 mg sodium,