- 3-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni (about 12 ounces)
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Few dashes hot pepper sauce
- 3-1/2 cups milk
- 5 cups (20 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- Cook macaroni in boiling water until almost tender; drain. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt, mustard, pepper and pepper sauce until smooth. Cook for 1 minute or until bubbly. Stir in the macaroni, milk and 4 cups cheese.
- Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until bubbly. Uncover; sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 12-16 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Macaroni and Cheese
"Great recipe, instead of shredding the cheese I cube it and put all 20 onces in a blender with the heated milk, then add it to the cooked flour and butter and stir in the cooked macaroni makes it much faster and I don't scrape my knuckles on the box grater. I add about 1 cup of crushed corn flakes sprinkled on the top before baking."
"Great tasting mac & cheese! Nice, simple recipe, which is all you need!"
"Ok, but very pedestrian recipe for Mac and Cheese. Try Fontina for half the cheddar. Half and half for the milk. White pepper instead of hot sauce. The ground mustard is a good inclusion."
"I have used sharp cheddar, and cubed velveeta, it was so creamy, and cheesy!!!"
"This was delicious! I took this to a church event and it was gobbled all up. Thanks for the recipe and I will definitely be making this again!!"
"This is my husband and 5 kiddos favorite Mac and cheese. My hubby is not a noodle person but it won him over. He loves it with steaks cooked in the oven with blue cheese, crushed croutons and chives. You won't be disappointed!"
"I take this dish to many potlucks. Everybody loves it! I usually get a request for the recipe. Excellent!"
"Use this one all the time. Grandkids just love it."
"Best I have tried. My husband keeps asking me to make it over & over."