Old-Fashioned Kraut Dinner Recipe
- 1 pound fully cooked smoked Polish sausage, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 pork chops (3/4 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 cans (14 ounces each) sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1. In a large skillet, brown sausage and pork chops in oil; drain. Add the next five ingredients; cook until vegetables are tender. Stir in tomato sauce and water; cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- 2. Remove pork chops to a serving platter; keep warm. Add sauerkraut and sugar to skillet; mix well. Heat through. Serve with pork chops. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 502 calories, 31 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 140 mg cholesterol, 1,467 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 41 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.