Old-Fashioned Jam Cake Recipe
I remember my Aunt Murna telling me she made this cake often when she was a young girl. Through the years, she made improvements to it, and her cake become a real family favorite. It has been a popular staple at our reunions.
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 jar (12 ounces) or 1 cup blackberry jam
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- CARAMEL ICING:
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a small bowl, combine raisins and pineapple; let stand for at least 30 minutes.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture alternately with jam and buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Stir in raisin mixture and nuts.
- 3. Spread into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 4. For icing, in a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in sugar and milk. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; cool until just warm. Pour into a large bowl; beat in enough confectioners' sugar to achieve a spreading consistency. Spread frosting between layers and over the top and sides of cake. Yield: 12-16 servings.
1 slice: 702 calories, 30g fat (15g saturated fat), 116mg cholesterol, 353mg sodium, 107g carbohydrate (86g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein .
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Jam Cake
Reviewed Sep. 30, 2015
"Love this cake"
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC