Old Fashioned Hard Candy Recipe
A dusting of confectioner's sugar gives a frosty look to this old-fashioned holiday candy from field editor Amy Short of Lesage, West Virginia. "The color is beautiful and people are surprised by the wonderful watermelon flavor!" Amy says.
- 3-3/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 to 3 drops red food coloring or color of your choice
- 1/4 teaspoon watermelon flavoring or flavoring of your choice
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1. Butter two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pans; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, water and food coloring. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in flavoring. Immediately pour into prepared pans; cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar; break into pieces. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 2 pounds.
1 serving (2 ounces) equals 283 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 38 mg sodium, 74 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 0 protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC