Old Fashioned Hard Candy Recipe
- 3-3/4 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 to 3 drops red food coloring or color of your choice
- 1/4 teaspoon watermelon flavoring or flavoring of your choice
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1. Butter two 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pans; set aside. In a large heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, corn syrup, water and food coloring. Cook and stir over medium heat until sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil. Cook, without stirring, until a candy thermometer reads 300° (hard-crack stage).
- 2. Remove from the heat; stir in flavoring. Immediately pour into prepared pans; cool. Dust with confectioners' sugar; break into pieces. Store in airtight containers. Yield: 2 pounds.
2 ounce-weight: 283 calories, 0g fat (0g saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 38mg sodium, 74g carbohydrate (65g sugars, 0g fiber), 0g protein .
Reviews for Old Fashioned Hard Candy
"I made this as Christmas gifts, and it was well recieved by all. Very easy to make, just takes a little time to boil off the water. I substituted peppermint extract for the watermelon flavor."
"made this with a cherry flavoring instead of watermelon-just as good-everyone loved it"