Old-Fashioned Green Beans
Mom would prepare home-grown green beans using this recipe, and boy did they ever taste good. The bacon provides rich flavor and the brown sugar a touch of sweetness. This is one irresistible side dish.
-Willa Govoro, St. Clair, Missouri
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 6 bacon strips, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 pounds fresh green beans
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, about 5
- minutes. Add the beans, brown sugar and water. Stir gently; bring to
- a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes or until beans
- are crisp-tender. Remove to a serving bowl with a slotted spoon.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 145 calories, 10 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 11 mg cholesterol, 132 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.