- 15 garlic cloves, peeled and halved, divided
- 15 fresh dill heads
- 4 pounds small cucumbers (3 to 4 inches long)
- 6 cups water
- 4-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 6 tablespoons canning salt
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Place five garlic clove halves and five dill heads in each of three hot 1-quart jars. Pack cucumbers into jars to within 1/2 in. of the top.
- In a large saucepan, bring water, vinegar, salt and pepper flakes to a boil. Carefully ladle hot liquid over cucumbers, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Add remaining five garlic clove halves to each jar. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 15 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 3 quarts.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Garlic Dill Pickles in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2010, p216
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Garlic Dill Pickles
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review