This simple one-layer cake has a nice texture, cuts well, is moist and the frosting is fast and easy to make. —Mary Schillinger, Woodstock, Georgia
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4-1/2 teaspoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg, then egg white, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition. Stir in water until smooth. Pour into a greased and floured 6-in. round baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, combine the sugar, cream and butter. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in marshmallows and chocolate chips until smooth. Spread frosting over top and sides of cake. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Fudge Cake in Reminisce April/May 2010, p52
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Fudge Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review