Old-Fashioned Frozen Vanilla Custard
Not too long ago, I found this recipe for a frozen treat we used to eat when we went to Grandma's house. Now, whenever I make it, it reminds me of her. She loved to bake, and so do I.
8 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + freezing
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a heavy saucepan, combine first three ingredients. Cook, stirring
- constantly, until thickened. Cool. Pour into chilled ice cube trays
- without dividers or a shallow pan. Freeze to a mush (do not freeze
- hard). Whip cream; add vanilla and salt. Fold into partially frozen
- mixture. Return to trays or pan and freeze. Yield: 1 quart.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 236 calories, 16 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 135 mg cholesterol, 124 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 4 g protein.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.