Old-Fashioned Frozen Vanilla Custard Recipe
Not too long ago, I found this recipe for a frozen treat we used to eat when we went to Grandma's house. Now, whenever I make it, it reminds me of her. She loved to bake, and so do I.
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 Eggland's Best Eggs, beaten
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a heavy saucepan, combine first three ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Cool. Pour into chilled ice cube trays without dividers or a shallow pan. Freeze to a mush (do not freeze hard). Whip cream; add vanilla and salt. Fold into partially frozen mixture. Return to trays or pan and freeze. Yield: 1 quart.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Frozen Vanilla Custard in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook 1992, p66
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Frozen Vanilla Custard(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review