Old-Fashioned Fried Green Tomatoes
When I was growing up, these were a summertime favorite with my family. Back then, we just dipped the tomato slices in flour and fried them in butter.
4-6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 to 4 green tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, cheese, oregano, salt and
- pepper. Coat tomato slices with flour mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Fry tomatoes for 2-3
- minutes on each side until tender and lightly browned. Drain on
- paper towels. Serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.