Old-Fashioned Fried Green Tomatoes Recipe
When I was growing up, these were a summertime favorite with my family. Back then, we just dipped the tomato slices in flour and fried them in butter.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 to 4 green tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1. In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, cheese, oregano, salt and pepper. Coat tomato slices with flour mixture.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Fry tomatoes for 2-3 minutes on each side until tender and lightly browned. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Fried Green Tomatoes
Reviewed Aug. 17, 2012
Reviewed Aug. 1, 2011
"This takes fried green tomatoes over the top. Love em'"
Reviewed Jun. 16, 2009
"I like FGT's,but I love these. I've even converted FGT haters,into at least likers. I make a big batch(4x) of coating mix and store it in freezer.I also cut my slices thinner."
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC