When I was growing up, these were a summertime favorite with my family. Back then, we just dipped the tomato slices in flour and fried them in butter.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 3 to 4 green tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, cheese, oregano, salt and pepper. Coat tomato slices with flour mixture.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium. Fry tomatoes for 2-3 minutes on each side until tender and lightly browned. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately. Yield: 4-6 servings.
Originally published as Fried Green Tomatoes in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p7
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Fried Green Tomatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Aug. 17, 2012
Reviewed Aug. 1, 2011
"This takes fried green tomatoes over the top. Love em'"
Reviewed Jun. 16, 2009
"I like FGT's,but I love these. I've even converted FGT haters,into at least likers. I make a big batch(4x) of coating mix and store it in freezer.I also cut my slices thinner."