Celebrating the holidays with eggnog is an American tradition that dates back to Colonial days. I toasts the season with a smooth and creamy concoction that keeps family and friends coming back from more.—Pat Waymire, Yellow Springs, Ohio
18 ServingsPrep: 40 min. + chilling
- 12 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- Whipped cream and additional nutmeg, optional
- In a heavy saucepan, whisk together the eggs, sugar and salt.
- Gradually add 1-qt. of milk. Cook and stir over low heat until a
- thermometer reads 160°, about 25 minutes. Pour into a large
- bowl; stir in vanilla, nutmeg and remaining milk. Place bowl in an
- ice-water bath; stir frequently until cool. If mixture separates,
- process in a blender until smooth. Cover and refrigerate for at
- least 3 hours.
- When ready to serve, beat cream in a bowl on high until soft peaks
- form; whisk gently into cooled mixture. Pour into a chilled 5-qt.
- punch bowl. If desired, top with dollops of whipped cream and
- sprinkle with nutmeg. Yield: 18 servings (about 3 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 268 calories, 15 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 186 mg cholesterol, 182 mg sodium,