Old Fashioned Date Pudding
My mother-in-law always whipped up this old-fashioned dessert at Thanksgiving and Christmas. My husband and I enjoy the chewy dates and sweet thick syrup drizzled on top. It's impossible to resist a second helping.
9-12 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/2 cup Diamond of California Chopped Walnuts
- Whipped cream
- In a saucepan, bring 1 cup brown sugar and water to a boil. Cook and
- stir for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add butter; set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt and remaining
- brown sugar. Stir in milk until smooth. add dates and walnuts.
- Pour hot brown sugar syrup into an 8-in. square baking dish. Spoon
- batter over syrup. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a
- toothpick inserted near the center of cake topping comes out clean.
- Serve warm with whipped cream. Yield: 9-12 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 228 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 142 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.