Old-Fashioned Custard Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. Unroll pastry sheet into a 9-in. pie plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 10-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk in remaining ingredients until blended. Pour into crust. Cover edges with foil. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Editor's Note: Pastry for 1 double crust is needed only if a braided crust is desired. To prepare braided crust: Trim pastry even with the edge of the pie plate; brush with water. From the top pastry, cut 12 strips, each 1/4 in. thick. Using three strips at a time, braid pastry on edge of crust, attaching ends together. press down gently. Bake as directed on front.
1 piece: 258 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 317mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Custard Pie
"If you can read a recipe u can make this simple pie. It's. Delicious. You ladies must not be able to read a recipe"
"i bake 20 min as instructed and the custard was not even warm yet. this recipe needs to be updated of deleted."
"what temp do u use to bake the custard for 20 minutes."