Old-Fashioned Custard Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1. Unroll pastry sheet into a 9-in. pie plate; flute edge. Refrigerate 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2. Line unpricked pastry with a double thickness of foil. Fill with pie weights, dried beans or uncooked rice. Bake on a lower oven rack 10-15 minutes or until edges are golden brown. Remove foil and weights; bake 3-6 minutes longer or until bottom is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk eggs. Whisk in remaining ingredients until blended. Pour into crust. Cover edges with foil. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 piece: 258 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 317mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 0 fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Custard Pie
"This was a delicious pie, and relatively simple. First you bake the crust (called blind baking), then you fill with the custard and bake again, both baking processes take place at 400F."
"If you can read a recipe u can make this simple pie. It's. Delicious. You ladies must not be able to read a recipe"
"Bake pie at 400 for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325 and bake and additional 35 minutes or until custard is set."
"i bake 20 min as instructed and the custard was not even warm yet. this recipe needs to be updated of deleted."
"what temp do u use to bake the custard for 20 minutes."
"At what temperature do you bake the custard part of this pie?"