Old-Fashioned Custard Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single- or double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 eggs
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Line 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges or prepare a braided crust (see Editor's Note). Bake at 400° for 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Pour into crust. Cover edges with foil. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Custard Pie
Sort By :
Cooked pie exactly as directed and after 25 minutes crust was still raw and pie was sloppy mess. Left it in uncovered for 30 more minutes and seemed to solidify more. Very disappointed :(
Bake pie at 400 for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 325 and bake and additional 35 minutes or until custard is set.
i bake 20 min as instructed and the custard was not even warm yet. this recipe needs to be updated of deleted.
what temp do u use to bake the custard for 20 minutes.
At what temperature do you bake the custard part of this pie?