Old-Fashioned Cream of Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 2. In the top of a double boiler or metal bowl, heat cream over simmering water; add to tomato mixture just before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
3/4 cup: 290 calories, 28g fat (17g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 342mg sodium, 10g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Cream of Tomato Soup
"Easy to make and very, very good. I will make this again."
"If it's ease and not time you're worried about this is a great recipe. Whip it up and then let it simmer for an hour. My family does not like the chunks of tomato in their soup, so we just blended the diced tomatoes first. All I had in my pantry was Italian flavored tomatoes, but that worked just fine! No one complained!"
"I added salt, pepper, garlic and a touch of truffle oil. It was so delicious! I will be making this again and again."
"This is wonderfully delicious. I modified the recipe by using diced tomatoes with garlic and onion because that's what I had in the pantry. It's great on a cold, windy day, served with a small salad and cornbread. What a feast!"