Old-Fashioned Cream of Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, combine the first six ingredients. Cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- In the top of a double boiler or metal bowl, heat cream over simmering water; add to tomato mixture just before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Cream of Tomato Soup(3)
Sort By :
I added salt, pepper, garlic and a touch of truffle oil. It was so delicious! I will be making this again and again.
This is wonderfully delicious. I modified the recipe by using diced tomatoes with garlic and onion because that's what I had in the pantry. It's great on a cold, windy day, served with a small salad and cornbread. What a feast!
I found this recipe in your magazine years ago and made it for my Mother after my Father died. It was the BEST soup tomatoe soup we had ever had, not to mention how easy it was to make.
I lost my recipe over the years and I am SO HAPPY I just found it is on this site.
This soup is FABULOUS!!!It has the most wonderful taste. THANK YOU Susan in Montana!