Old-Fashioned Cran-Apple Pie
Here's a delicious idea from Janet Morgan-Cavallaro of Pincourt, Quebecan old-fashioned apple dessert she enhanced with cranberries. "After I went apple picking with our daughter," she recalls. "I took a look at the bushels of fruit we brought homethen raced into our kitchen to try out new ideas, including my pie."Janet Morgan-Cavallaro, Pincourt, Quebec
6-8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 2-1/2 pounds tart apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon aniseed, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; toss well. Line
- a deep 9-in. pie plate with the bottom pastry. Add filling. Top with
- a lattice crust, flute edges. Lightly beat egg white and water;
- brush over crust. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 50-55 minutes or until apples are tender. Cool
- on a wire rack. Yield: 6-8 servings.