Old-Fashioned Corn Relish
"This was the first 'country' recipe I received after moving away from the city—a farm wife neighbor shared it. I've made a few additions to it and gotten quite a few compliments," writes Jean Peterson of Mulliken, Michigan. "It's wonderful made with garden-fresh ingredients. Serve it with your favorite meat."
52 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups fresh or frozen corn
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 2 cups chopped seeded cucumbers
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- In a large saucepan, combine all of the ingredients. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-30 minutes or until
- thickened. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoons equals 53 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 94 mg sodium, 13 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 starch.