Old Fashioned Coffee Pudding Recipe
This pudding was handed down from my husband's great-grandmother. To give an idea of how old this recipe is, it was translated from her German script found in an old ledger when she'd collected favorite recipes from her friends. It's a bona fide and delicious "antique". The only modern touch that I've added to it is the option of using decaffeinated coffee.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups cold strong coffee
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped until stiff
- Additional whipped cream, optional
- Shaved bittersweet chocolate, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in coffee until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool. Fold in whipping cream. Chill. Garnish with additional whipped cream and chocolate if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 214 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 147 mg cholesterol, 54 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Old Fashioned Coffee Pudding
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC