Old Fashioned Coffee Pudding Recipe
This pudding was handed down from my husband's great-grandmother. To give an idea of how old this recipe is, it was translated from her German script found in an old ledger when she'd collected favorite recipes from her friends. It's a bona fide and delicious "antique". The only modern touch that I've added to it is the option of using decaffeinated coffee.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups cold strong coffee
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped until stiff
- Additional whipped cream, optional
- Shaved bittersweet chocolate, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in coffee until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool. Fold in whipping cream. Chill. Garnish with additional whipped cream and chocolate if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
1 cup: 214 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 147mg cholesterol, 54mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Old Fashioned Coffee Pudding
Reviewed Feb. 17, 2013
"Easy and different - also inexpensive to make."
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC