Old Fashioned Coffee Pudding Recipe
This pudding was handed down from my husband's great-grandmother. To give an idea of how old this recipe is, it was translated from her German script found in an old ledger when she'd collected favorite recipes from her friends. It's a bona fide and delicious "antique". The only modern touch that I've added to it is the option of using decaffeinated coffee.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 2 cups cold strong coffee
- 2 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped until stiff
- Additional whipped cream, optional
- Shaved bittersweet chocolate, optional
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Stir in coffee until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool. Fold in whipping cream. Chill. Garnish with additional whipped cream and chocolate if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Old Fashioned Coffee Pudding in Reminisce July/August 1991, p37
Reviews for Old Fashioned Coffee Pudding
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Feb. 17, 2013
Easy and different - also inexpensive to make.