Old-Fashioned Coffee Cake Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 egg
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg, divided
- 1 cup buttermilk
- In a small bowl, cream butter and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and 1 teaspoon nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Pour into a greased 9-in. square baking pan (batter will be thick).
- Combine the remaining sugar and nutmeg; sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 9 servings.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Coffee Cake(6)
Sort By :
Love this recipe! It was one of the first cakes I ever made. I added cinnamon to the batter and make it in a bundt pan and drizzle it with a thin icing made from water, icing sugar, vanilla, sugar, and nutmeg! I've tried it with buttermilk and 1% milk, but the buttermilk is definitely much better!
Really liked this. Easy to make with ingredients on hand. I ate 1/3 of it and would eat more but I keep thinking about the calories. Next time I might incorporate cinnamon or a different topping but the cake was great.
Awesome! A perfect size for 2 people, smelled divine when it was baking, and it tastes INCREDIBLE! Light, but a rich taste from the buttermilk. So easy to mix up too.
can't wait to make it again!
My family LOVES this. I put the "topping" in the batter, and then we ice it with cream cheese icing for Jesus' birthday cake on Christmas morning.
Quick and simple and tastes good, too. I doubled the recipe and it appeared that they both cooked fine, but once they were out of the oven, one of them fell in the center. When cutting it once cooled, that one was not completely cooked in center. My pans were 8 in. instead of 9 in., but the other one was fine. ??