Old-Fashioned Coconut Pie Recipe
My husband says it's not good cooking unless it's made from scratch. This is an old-fashioned way of making coconut pie from scratch. —Barbara Smith, Franklin, Georgia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling YIELD:6-8 servings
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 1 pie shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Combine egg yolks and milk; stir into dry ingredients until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and 1 cup coconut. Pour hot filling into pie shell.
- 2. For meringue, beat egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until mixture forms stiff glossy peaks and sugar is dissolved. Spread meringue over hot filling. Sprinkle with remaining coconut.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Cool. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 408 calories, 16 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 93 mg cholesterol, 210 mg sodium, 60 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC