Old-Fashioned Coconut Pie Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash salt
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/4 cups flaked coconut, divided
- 1 pie shell (9 inches), baked
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt. Combine egg yolks and milk; stir into dry ingredients until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture is thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat to low; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla and 1 cup coconut. Pour hot filling into pie shell.
- For meringue, beat egg whites in a bowl until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar until mixture forms stiff glossy peaks and sugar is dissolved. Spread meringue over hot filling. Sprinkle with remaining coconut.
- Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until golden. Cool. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Coconut Pie(4)
Sort By :
The original recipe that I have, shows 3 egg yolks, beaten, not 3 eggs lightly beaten as shown above, This is an error, as it says to combine flour,sugar,salt, milk & egg yolks. You are using the yolks in the pie & the whites in ther meringue, only 3 eggs total.
I made two of these for thanksgiving and both of them were gone by the end of the night! Everyone loved them!! I would definetly make them again.
This is a great recipe. Taste just like my grandma use to make. Simple and easy. Recipe was very easy and was delicious.