Old-Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie Recipe
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups milk
- 3 egg yolks, beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup flaked coconut, divided
- 2 cups whipped cream or whipped topping
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt; gradually add milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Gradually stir a small amount into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla. Cool to lukewarm; fold in 2/3 cup coconut. Pour into pastry shell. Refrigerate until set, about 3 hours. Meanwhile, toast the remaining coconut. To serve, top with whipped cream and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Coconut Cream Pie(1)
Sort By :
Good flavor and nice creamy texture but not quite "coconutty" enough. Will try adding a little coconut extract in addition to the vanilla next time.