- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- 2-1/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- Whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, cocoa, flour and salt; gradually add water. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour into pastry shell. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours before serving. Garnish with whipped cream and chocolate sprinkles. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Chocolaty Pie
"This is a very simple recipe to throw together. It set wonderfully and had a VERY silky texture."
"Because this pie is so simple to make, it's one that i make often. Very rich and chocolately! Tastes so much better than store bought boxed puddings."
"I didn't care for this filling at all. I threw it away after trying to eat a slice."
"I didn't care for this filling at all. It was not good at all."
"While the flavor of the pie was good, the filling never did set up right. I have another chocolate pie recipe that I don't have to tinker with so I will not be making this one again."