Old-Fashioned Chocolate Pudding Recipe
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 egg yolks, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Whipped cream, optional
- In a double boiler or metal bowl over simmering water, heat the milk, butter and chocolate until chocolate is melted (chocolate may appear curdled).
- Combine the sugar, flour and salt. Sprinkle over chocolate mixture (do not stir). Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 20 minutes. With a wooden spoon, stir until smooth. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from the heat. Stir in vanilla. Cool for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to dessert dishes.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour. Garnish servings with whipped cream if desired. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Chocolate Pudding
Sort By :
"This recipe reminds us of brownies. It was very thick and had a smooth texture.Everyone loved it."
"I don't have a double boiler, but I tried the microwave and it worked fine. You do have to carefully stir in the flour mixture, though. It only took a few minutes and it was really good."
"This is to die for! It does work the way the directions say, w/o stirring, but once while I wasn't paying enough attention, I stirred it up. That worked just as good. Thanks so much for sharing this. I double it and we eat off it the rest of the week....ok maybe just the next night."