Old-Fashioned Chocolate Pie Recipe
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring the water, chocolate and butter to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in sugar and vanilla until smooth. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Pour into pastry shell. Carefully pour reserved chocolate mixture over filling. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Cover edges of pastry with foil. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece: 467 calories, 23g fat (10g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 372mg sodium, 63g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein .
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Chocolate Pie
"It is more of a cake than a pie"
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.