Old-Fashioned Chocolate Pie Recipe
Preparing this old-fashioned pie brings back memories. When I was a girl, we cranked homemade ice cream to serve with it.
- 1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 2 tablespoons chopped nuts, optional
- 1. In a small saucepan, bring the water, chocolate and butter to a boil; boil for 1 minute. Remove from the heat; stir in sugar and vanilla until smooth. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- 3. Pour into pastry shell. Carefully pour reserved chocolate mixture over filling. Sprinkle with nuts if desired. Cover edges of pastry with foil. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 467 calories, 23 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 49 mg cholesterol, 372 mg sodium, 63 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC