- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup mashed potatoes (without added milk and butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in mashed potatoes and vanilla. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 9-in. square baking pan; sprinkle with walnuts. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely. Dust with confectioner's sugar. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cake in Reminisce Extra November 2011, p73
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Chocolate Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review