Old-Fashioned Chicken Potpie Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- 1. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, garlic, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in water, milk and bouillon. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in chicken and vegetables; set aside.
- 2. For pastry, combine flour and celery seed in a bowl. Cut in cream cheese and butter until crumbly. Work mixture by hand until dough forms a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll two-thirds of dough into a 12-in. square. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish. Pour filling into crust. Roll remaining dough into 9-in. square; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- 3. Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 591 calories, 38 g fat (22 g saturated fat), 141 mg cholesterol, 860 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.