Old-Fashioned Chicken Potpie Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons celery seed
- 1 package (8 ounces) PHILADELPHIA® Cream Cheese, cubed
- 1/3 cup cold butter
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour, garlic, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in water, milk and bouillon. Bring to a boil; boil and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in chicken and vegetables; set aside.
- For pastry, combine flour and celery seed in a bowl. Cut in cream cheese and butter until crumbly. Work mixture by hand until dough forms a ball. On a lightly floured surface, roll two-thirds of dough into a 12-in. square. Transfer to an 8-in. square baking dish. Pour filling into crust. Roll remaining dough into 9-in. square; place over filling. Trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry.
- Bake at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Chicken Potpie(7)
Sort By :
There's no better comfort food out there in my opinion but this recipe was great! I also use chicken broth if I have it on hand and will change out the vegetables depending on what the family feels like.
I have made this MANY times but I do change a couple of things: I don't add garlic as I did not like the taste in this dish, I use chicken broth instead of water in the filling mixture, and I use a whole small bag of mixed vegetables. Other than that - it is delicious. The crust is always flaky and very tender and quite forgiving. It doesn't have to be "perfect" and it just adds a wonderful texture to the pie.
One of our "keeper" recipes- worth the effort and tastes great- love it!
It was WONDERFUL. Made it on March 6 2012. I think I will add some corn next time
It was Wonderful, I will add some corn next time
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Chicken >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Pot Pie Recipes >
- Chicken Potpie Recipes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Country Woman Dinner Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >