Old-Fashioned Cheesecake Recipe
- 1-1/3 cups whole almonds, toasted and ground
- 3/4 cup crushed vanilla wafers
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Assorted fresh fruit
- 1. In a small bowl, combine almonds and wafer crumbs; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom and 2 in. up the sides of an ungreased 9-in. springform pan. Bake at 350° for 5 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth. Add eggs; beat on low speed just until combined. Beat in vanilla and lemon peel just until blended. Pour into crust. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until center is almost set.
- 3. Combine the sour cream, sugar and vanilla; carefully spread over filling. Bake 10 minutes longer or until edges appear dry. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Cover and chill overnight. Remove sides of pan. Top with fresh fruit. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice: 582 calories, 45g fat (25g saturated fat), 180mg cholesterol, 268mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 1g fiber), 11g protein.
Reviews for Old-Fashioned Cheesecake
"This was excellent! My daughter said it tasted like it was from the best restaurant. I didn't think I liked the taste of the toasted almonds in the crust, but after it was baked, it was the perfect combination! Made it exactly as directed except couldn't find much fresh fruit, but the store had just gotten in some pints of fresh black berries. So I took some raspberry jam (what I had on hand), put it in a saucepan with some water and corn starch. Heated till thickened, let cool a little and then spread it on the cake and set the blackberries on top. WOW!"
"my family LOVED this!"
"This has been my go-to cheesecake recipe for almost 6 yrs. The crust is the best I've ever had and it is great w/ or w/o the fruit topping. Just be sure to indicate there are nuts included if you serve this to guest."
"Absolutetly perfect. I also make it without the fruit. Everyone always comments about how delicious the crust is. I'm making it for Thanksgiving again!"
"I really liked this cheesecake, but I made it with the traditional Graham Cracker crust instead of the one listed here. I did not put anything on top. My family loved it!"
"My family absolutely loves this receipe I dont put all the fruit on top but it is such a killer recipe and I love the crust. I bake it all the time for special occasions and now I am expected to make it for those occasions and holidays now or my family fires me"
"I don't use the fruit either. it's FABULOUS on its own. I make it for all holidays. easy to make and perfectly yummy! Go for it!"
"My family absolutely loves this recipe I cheat I do not use the fruit but I make it for holidays and special occasions we love the crust because it is not overly sweetand the nuts break down the richness."